Monday, July 23, 2012

Iris Sky Blue Waters

Tall Bearded Iris - Sky Blue Waters

Have not had time to blog, life has been very full. Totally missed showing my gardening friends some of the highlights of the iris season.

My buddy Jack Worel has been hybridizing Tall Bearded Iris for decades. A few years back he gave me a  piece of a light blue he was going to discard. It had not performed well in his trials. It performed beautifully in my garden. With his permission I showed it at a local Iris show , it won Best Seedling.  I gave a piece back to Jack after it was viewed at a Tall Bearded Iris Society meeting held in Minneapolis. Everyone raved over what was then called “Bill’s Big Blue”, BBB for short.  Today the TB is registered as Sky Blue Waters.  I have been an AIS garden Judge, I understand what comprises an excellent TB iris, Sky Blue Waters has been a fabulous show iris and been magnificent in the garden.


Sky Blue Waters in Jack's garden

No comments:

Post a Comment